Friday, March 16, 2018

Come For the Clothes, Stay For the Whinging

This isn't a sexy, play-with-my-hair pose, I just have a stabbing pain at the back of my head😘.

 But hey, I do what I can. We've had a hectic, mixed-up week around here (that's a grand understatement-stress much?!), but I still managed to get dressed. Can't say I didn't accomplish anything! My foot continues to heal, and hopefully by the time we go on holiday in April I will be able to manage without the funny shoe. I probably won't be back into heels, but anything would have to look better than this.
Right, complaining won't change anything, so on to the clothes.
I purchased this vintage skirt last summer from an online seller. It was described as a 50's skirt, but I'm pretty sure it isn't. The metal zipper doesn't seem to be original, and I think that's what threw her. I know when I replace a zip I use whatever I have in the correct size-sometimes plastic, sometimes metal. Anyway, this is probably 70's or 80's but I love the colours and print, so no harm done. It wasn't expensive-around $15.00 if I remember correctly. Today's lesson? It takes more than a zipper to accurately date a piece of vintage.
Outfit Particulars:
Skirt-Etsy
Top-Goodwill
Vintage jacket (part of a suit)-Long gone vintage shop in Brookline, Mass
Bangles-all over
Earrings-Goodwill
Celluloid brooch-Etsy
Cowboy Boot (s)-K Mart
Vintage handbag-New Life Thrift
Vintage tooled belt-Thrift World
Fragrance-none this week as Danny has been asthmatic and although perfume has never triggered an attack, why risk it?

 This puppy basket is going to hold my pastry brushes in the kitchen. It is a bit too small to turn into a purse.
Someone got shark socks! I bought some as well.
 These are supposed to be cigarette trousers. I bought them far too big but the thing is...they're so much more comfortable this way. Yeah, they look like something my granny would have worn...maybe she knew something. Anyway, I bought another pair in beige and I think I'll keep them. I'm really not a trouser wearing sort of person, but these are like pulling on a pair of sweatpants.
 The Marimekko top sees another year.
 My hair is in desperate need of cutting, but I haven't had time. I've owned this barrette forever.
 The hair bow was my mum's. It looks better clipped to a bag than in my hair. I'm wearing shark socks if you look carefully.
BIG earrings.
Outfit Particulars:
Trousers-K Mart
Marimekko top-Target
Silver bangle-Goodwill
Earrings-Hand-Me-Ups
Shark socks-K Mart
Straw bag-Goodwill
Bow-Mum's

I have a new glass kettle in my life. It won't look this sparkly for long. 
 Another skirt I'd forgotten about, rediscovered when I cleared-out my clothes last week. The elastic needs replacing, and it is super-lightweight. Will probably be better in summer with a peasant top, but I was eager to try it out now.
The print looks Mexican, but it is fast fashion made in China. A genuine vintage skirt like this would be very costly.

Outfit Particulars:
Skirt-no idea
Top-K Mart
Belt-came with a cardigan
Tights-K Mart
Enid Collins bag-antique mall
Necklace-Hand-Me-Ups
Floral brooch-Tiff and Tam
Bakelite bangles-all over

I'm late to the Korean skincare fad, but at $2.00 for 60 face wipes, these were a good introduction. They do a decent job removing eye makeup, but if you're wearing liner and mascara it will probably require two wipes to get it all off. I bought these for travel, and I must say I'm happy with them. Big Lots carries the entire line in different formulations. 

 Speaking of eyeliner... I've been experimenting with white liner on the upper lid. I can't quite get past the feeling that it looks like I used Liquid Paper as makeup.
It does open up my eyes quite a bit. I also bought some liner in a pale pink-that ought to be interesting in a bunny rabbit sort of way.
Time for a Spring dress even if the weather isn't playing along. We're having thunderstorms at the moment, complete with hail. I had to take Danny to a medical appointment this morning and it was a challenging drive! We don't get that much rain here-at least not in downpours, and I had forgotten how tricky it can be when you hit standing water on the roadway. I do wish people would just slow down and pay attention, but maybe that's asking too much. Self driving cars cannot get here soon enough for me!
Outfit Particulars:
1970's polyester maxi-Salvation Army store
Necklace-Hand-Me-Ups
Enid Collins handbag-Antique shop
Jade bracelet-Goodwill
Seashell earrings-Goodwill

Have you seen this alternative to plastic Easter grass? If nothing else, it will be easier to clean up if no one eats it.

 The Misty Harbor raincoat is getting plenty of use. This might be the hardest working item in my wardrobe.
 This dress defies photography. It is a beautiful silky, shirtdress, but you'd never know it from the photos. Ah well, use your imagination.
Outfit Particulars:
1980's Leslie Fay shirt dress-Goodwill
Misty Harbor raincoat-Etc Cetera, Seward
Handbag-Goodwill
Brooches-both Goodwill
Pearls-Hand-Me-Ups
Earrings-New Life Thrift
Liberty scarf-Goodwill


And that's about it. Whew, what a crazy week. Next week doesn't look much better, but at least I have interesting clothes to keep me distracted. I wish someone could hit me over the head with a coconut and knock me out because that's about the only way I'm going to get any sleep.

Hey life,
Have a great weekend!



















11 comments:

Bibi Maizoon said...

The printed "Mexican" skirt is my favorite- reminds me of the Gujarati & Rajasthani embroidered garments.
I saw an Easter cake decorated with that edible grass- like an Easter basket cake. I hear Hershey's is making carrot cake flavor kisses for Easter too.
The puppy basket looks like he's post-lobotomy.
The cigarette trousers look like those cropped flares that were popular 10 yrs ago.
OK I'll shut up now.
Get well soon, Pegleg!

bahnwärterin said...

goody - watch out - coconut is coming from my direction!!!
;-D
poor girl - i feel with you.
but you´r wearing fabulous looks - can´t decide which one is my fav - love them all and would wear them all exactly so. the massive earrings are something to copy - have inherited cheap brooches in doubles. the earthy skirt must be 80s - i remember a "african summer" in the 2.half - we changed from our usually black&silver to earth tones & oxidized brass/copper....and tan instead of pale.
here we´r back to snow and -10°C today.
xxxx

Polyester Princess said...

Your wonderful outfits really do detract from the "funny shoe". Which can't be said for the shark socks! The faux mexican maxi skirt and the 1970s polyester maxi dress are my favourites, but I'm loving the silky shirtdress too! I must admit I've never heard of edible grass. I wonder if it's available in Belgium. Hope next week will be easier ... xxx

Sue said...

You are so rocking the hell out of that moon shoe, I hated mine just like you. Before you know it you will be back wearing shoes, normal and more than likely low ones. There is light at the end of the tunnel so focus on it. LOVE your black border print skirt.

Beth Waltz said...

One coconut from my when-I-retire-I'm-going-full-Tiki stash headed your way. I do feel your frustration about the "busy brain" interfering with sleep. Please give lavender drops in your bath a try...

I covet those shark socks! I have several pair of those comfy "cigarette trousers" and wear them with clunky Japanese sandals and an ancient happi coat. Shark socks would rock! Dunno about the Chinese opera white eye-liner and pink shadow around my Teutonic blue eyes, but the look works for you with those bold graphic frames.

Vix said...

Your ruffled maxi dress is identical in style to the green one Anne sent me for my birthday, I wonder if they're related!
Grass - edible? I only know the smokeable version! xxx

Mim said...

I kept scrolling down thinking, "That is the best outfit... no, that one is." Maxi dress and Marimekko top were the winners for me; I love the bold graphic quality of the top and you look so good in that shade of blue.

I hope Danny's athsma is better this week.

Radostin said...

Oh I love that brown outfit, every detail. I love the other outfits too, every one. I hope life takes a turn for the better soon. xx

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

I spotted the shark socks! It does look weird seeing you with only one shoe on. I do hope the poorly foot is recovering in a speedy fashion.

What a fabulous array of outfits! I loved the maxi dress and that fabulous bag best of all. The skirts are wonderful; I loved the brown jacket you matched with the first skirt. The Marimekko top is so lovely and vibrant and goes well with the cigarette pants. The shirt dress has the same lovely blues as the Marimekko top which really suit you. Those blue earrings must be amongst the humungous earrings I have ever seen!

Edible grass - well I'm jiggered!

The white eyeliner looks fab and the wipes seem like a great deal. I don't think the Korean skin care fad has reached us yet...

Hope your week is less stressful this week and get some sleep!

Miss Magpie said...

Love the black patterned skirt and oh I have serious bag envy.

Goody said...

@Bibi
Ha! "Pegleg"

@Beate
Your weather has been even stranger than ours. I must say-you've managed to stay stylish through it!

@Ann
The grass is made in Germany, so I would guess you'd have a chance of finding it in Belgium. We almost never see German imports here as they are too expensive.

@Sue
Thank you. I hope things are going well by you and that TOF is having a speedy recovery.

@Beth
The shark socks came in a multi-pack of different designs from K Mart. I split the pack with Danny.

@Vix
They make candy out of that kind of grass now too!

@Mim
Thank you. We're taking the kid for some tests tomorrow where they induce an asthma attack in a controlled hospital setting. Then, they look down his throat with a scope. The thinking is in addition to asthma he has some vocal chord dysfunction which makes it hard to tell which is asthma and which is his throat. I guess there's breathing techniques he can do to figure it out but...gah. This stuff is so hard to diagnose!

@Radostin
I could conquer the world with a few hours of sleep...or at least mop the kitchen floor.

@Veronica
My foot is healing, though much more slowly than I anticipated. I don't dare walk around without the boot for fear of banging the toes again and re-breaking them.

@Miss Magpie
I really need to curtail my bag collecting-we'll need to move if I don't.